Wednesday, November 21, 2012

ARC Review: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Ahh. Yes, I know this review is eeeextra late. I read this a while back (few months ago) and it's just been siting in my review pile and I've finally gotten around to reviewing it. 

*Received Through NetGalley*
Beautiful Disaster
Amazon | GoodReads | B&N
Author: Jamie McGuire
Publisher: Atria Books
Release Date: August 14, 2012
Genre: YA, Contemporary Romance, 432 pages 
ISBN-10: 1476712042 
ISBN-13: 978-1476712048




SUMMARY:
The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand. 

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants—and needs—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.


MY REVIEW:
Lawd. Have. Mercy! Travis "Mad Dog" Maddox needs to be real! Maybe I can scout my campus for him ;) Underground fighting rings here I come! lol. Abby Abernathy is trying to change her life, and moves away to attend Eastern University to get away from her past. But does she get away from her past life? Nope. Not a chance. Abby Abernathy runs into Travis "Mad Dog" Maddox and goes from being his "friend" to his "everything" in not time flat. Okay, exaggeration there. It's obvious how much they both want each other. As much as I'd love to believe it, you just CAN'T be JUST FRIENDS with a guy. It's... impossible!

Abby is hiding a secret, Travis has a problem. Mix those two deliciously gossip worthy things together and you get one fabulously delivered Beautiful Disaster. Abby, Abby, Abby... Lawd does this girl have ISSUES! Daddy issues at that. That's all bad. I really loved this book. The relationship between Abby and Travis is beyond crazy. This is one dysfunctional relationship that seems to need AND rely on problems to survive. If it's not one thing, it's another. Travis ain't no walk in the park either, mind you. Travis is a fighter, he's got mommy issues. Perfect match, eh? He's the "tough" guy, the "don't-fuck-with-him-or-his-woman" kinda guy or you get the living shit beat out of you.

Aside from their crazy relationship, I really liked these two. I feel that, yeah they were cray cray, but they totally fit together. All you girls, don't sit there and be all "Ana, WTF is you talking about?" you know dang well what I'm talking about. You've been in a relationship of some sort, where you Just. Cant. Let. Go. You keep going back for more. Reading Beautiful Disasters the song that's playing in my head (aside from the rowdy crowd noises during a cage fight. raaah, raaah) is Auburns "Perfect Two" It's one lovely dovey song. And that's how I see Abby and Travis. *shrugs* Maybe if someone made a rock version of the song, then... yeah... I also liked the other characters, Abby's best friend America and her boyfriend (Travis' cousin Shep), as well as Travis' dad and brothers. I think all characters were well developed and they were all believable. Makes me want to go out and pinpoint all the Travis's and Abby's in my life. lol.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this book. It's very borderline NOT YA. Definitely for a mature audience. If you love yourself a contemporary romance with bruised hearts that need major fixing then this book is definitely for you.

MY RATING:

7 comments:

  1. I really liked this story even though Abby drove me crazy most of the time. This was the beginning of my obsession with the New Adult genre. If you haven't read Thoughtless by S.C. Stephens, I would suggest giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really didn't care for this story or the characters...they worked my nerves to no end. IDK...maybe it was just me, Loved the review missy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *le gasp* nooooOooooOOOOooooooOOOo *clears throat & composes self* ahh. Yeah, the characters can drive you nuts but I can't help but feel that there are relationships out there that are like this one. Maybe not the whole fighting/world famous poker player thing, but the back & forth pull that is dysfunctional beyond all means. Thanks for stopping by girly <3 Happy Turkey Day!! ------------------------------ On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 8:59 AM PST Disqus wrote: > >Sharonda Lowman wrote: > >I really didn't care for this story or the characters...they worked my nerves to no end. IDK...maybe it was just me, Loved the review missy ;) > >User's website: http://www.salaciousreads.com/ >IP address: 198.228.201.158 >Link to comment: http://redirect.disqus.com/url?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beachbumreads.com%2F2012%2F11%2Farc-review-beautiful-disaster-by-jamie.html%23comment-716931870%3Ac0RulxgimUS4ktm0mVsiPTwfqSw&imp=84691796-b94e-45f3-a045-0df363e26664&zone=notifications.clicks&forum=beachbumreads&thread=937442590 > >----- >Options: You can moderate through email. Respond in the body with "Delete". Reply with "Like" to like this comment, or respond with anything else to approve this comment and post your message as a reply comment. > >Or use the moderate panel: http://beachbumreads.disqus.com/admin/moderate/#/pending >To turn off notifications, go to: http://disqus.com/account/ > >

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby definitely drove me crazy as well. But, aside from her I really liked this book. I liked America better than I like Abby >.< I'll definitely look into that. Thanks :) I absolutely love Alyssa Rose Ivy's Clayton Falls series. It's New Adult if you haven't tried that one yet :) book two, Veer, is going to release soon :)


    Ana♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neyra @DarkestAddictionsNovember 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM

    I really need to hurry and get to this book, but I think my 'galley expired already *sobs* Great review girly, I hear MadDog is awesome ;) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww did it? poop. no bueno :( hopefully you get to it soon ^_^ I <3'd it... very fucked up, but very good lol


    Ana♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just added it to my GR list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Back To Top