Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Quickie Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare


City of Bones
(Book #1 in the Mortal Instruments series) 
Amazon | Goodreads | BN

Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books (March 27, 2007)
Genre: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy, 485 pages

ISBN-10: 9781416955078
ISBN-13: 978-1416955078
ASIN: 1416955070
My Copy: Paperback

SUMMARY:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

MY REVIEW:
Alright, I'm sure all of you have read this by now, but I figured I minus well review it, since I've read it. Right? So, thus, I am now doing quickie reviews.

City of Bones took a while for me to get into. Making that transition from Adult back into YA is kind of disorienting. Okay...seriously disorienting. It took me til about the halfway mark that I finally got into the book. But once I did hit that mark, reading this book was easy sailing.

City of Bones is the first book in the Mortal Instruments series. You've got Clary who is a straight up Mundane (human turd with no outstanding abilities, unless hailing a cab on the busy, busy streets of New York City is considered an ability. But, even then, you have to master the art of man handling the mean cab driver) but wait! She's not a Mundane! Clary thinks she's just a normal teenage girl with teeny bopper problems until she witnesses a murder at Pandemonium Club (don't worry, it's a teeny bopper club). She's the only one who see's what happens, which then launches her into the world of Shadowhunters who have a thing for fancy weapons to kill the big bad demons with.

Cassandra Clare takes you on an adventure through this world of crazy (awesome crazy) and gives it to you with a wam-bam-thank-you-ma'am kinda vibe. I can dig it. You're introduced to these Shadowhunters as well as a few vamps with flying motorcycles. Seriously, these bad boys fly! You follow Clary and the band of Shadowhunters and learn just what a Shadowhunter is and how this world works. Clare breaks it down for you in kid bite sizes and throws some kickass scenes in to boost up your heart rate. 

I really enjoyed this book, of course, after I got through the first half. I thought the characters were pretty cool and very well developed. You're introduced to a lot in this book, but I feel Clare really led you in slowly and held your hand the whole way. I would definitely recommend this book if you're a YA lover. Also all you Urban Fantasy lovers? This one's for you too :p 

MY RATING:

3 comments:

  1. I really love this series! Great review! You always crack me up lmao. I hope you catch up on this series. I still haven't read the most recent book yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was a great start to the series. I'll definitely be continuing on ^_^ lol. Thanks for stopping by girly <333


    Ana♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the series but I hate Clary's & my opinion on her will never change I think. I'm glad that the secondary characters are well soften otherwise this would've been a bust! Cant wait for the movie though.

    ReplyDelete

Back To Top